How long is the program?
The self-study assignment takes roughly 6 to 9 hours. The subsequent classroom portion is 5 days, 42.5 hours.
What is the program schedule?
The program is scheduled over five consecutive days with the following daily schedule:
- Day 1 – 0800 to 1730
- Day 2 through Day 5 – 0800 to 1700
How much of the program is spent in hands-on activities vs. classroom lecture?
The program is comprised of a self-study assignment (~10%), classroom lecture (~10%), and exercises and simulation activities (~80%).
What is the minimum and maximum number of students?
The program requires a minimum of 24 students, and the optimal class size is 32 students. Participants are organized into four teams, each of which is comprised of the functional positions of the command and general staff.
What happens when a student is nominated to attend the program?
Once nominations are accepted, each student receives an email communicating relevant information including the following:
- Training center location along with nearby hotels and restaurants
- Items unique to training center, such as badge access or special parking permits
- Prework assignment
- Contact information from the sponsoring agency for questions regarding attendance or registration issues
- Contact information from MCS for questions regarding prework or prerequisite requirements
Does the client need to provide any personnel for hosting a course?
The client designates a course coordinator who is on location at the training center. The course coordinator has these responsibilities:
- Receive shipped items (several boxes and map tube) sent from MCS to training center
- Coordinate cadre access to training center for setup prior to program start
- Discuss student roster and information
- Communicate facility usage policy
- Coordinate opening remarks by host agency (optional)
What are the facilities requirements?
The client is responsible for securing appropriate facilities for the course. The program requires six rooms:
- One classroom large enough to accommodate 50 people in a four-group configuration
(approximately 30′ x 35′ or 1050 sq ft)
- Four rooms to function as Incident Command Posts (ICPs) for individual teams
(approximately 25′ x 25′ or 625 sq ft)
- One cadre support room
(approximately 20′ x 20′ or 400 sq ft)
What are the equipment requirements?
- Good cell phone coverage among the rooms
- Internet connection in the cadre support room
- On-site copier for supplemental support
What is the self-study assignment?
Students complete the following tasks prior to the first day of class:
- View online video presentations of foundational concepts
- Review printed reference guide
- Order and view a film: Ike – Countdown to D-Day with Tom Selleck
- Complete online Personnel Information Form and upload photo (The link to the form is provided to students in a welcome letter.)